October 10, 2011

Peterson's Field Guides -- Eastern and Western

A Field Guide to Western Birds
by Roger Tory Peterson
Houghton Mifflin, Second Edition, 1961

A Field Guide to the Birds, Eastern Land and Water Birds
by Roger Tory Peterson
Houghton Mifflin, Second Edition, 1964

Comments: I've always enjoyed birding but didn't become serious until I lived in Montana and began listing. I quickly developed an appreciation for the different types of guides and their unique strengths. The Peterson's guides are the gold standard for most birders and I have well-worn paperback editions that I use in the field, but these are second edition hardbacks that I acquired for the bookshelf. The plates aren't as colorful or crisp as the newer editions, so I rarely use them for critical reference, but I enjoy having them as examples of an earlier era of birding illustration.

Copy Notes:  Hardbacks, second edition, color plate illustrations, black and white illustrations