May 12, 2012

Treasure Island


Treasure Island
by Robert Louis Stevenson
Grosset & Dunlop Publishers, 1947

Comments:  I must confess that I'm out of touch with what's popular these days in the genre of young adult fiction, although judging from the size of that section at my local bookstore there are a considerable range of options available. I suspect that Harry Potter is prominent among them. Recently I've been thinking about how well some of the classics that I grew up with have fared with modern young readers. In my own adolescence, admittedly decades ago, there weren't nearly as many titles available and it seems like the most popular among them were so-called classics -- well-worn stories by writers from another era. Robert Louis Stevenson, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper were just a few of the great writers popular with boys. An equally impressive group of writers were favored by young women, but I was largely oblivious to those fine stories. I suppose in time everything with enduring appeal becomes a classic, but the popular stories from our own youth are usually the ones we hold with the most affection.

Treasure Island was certainly one of my own favorites as a young reader. What's not to like: a ripping good yarn about an adventure to find a mysterious treasure in an unfamiliar world beyond the horizon, the struggle to make sense of human behavior and friendship, and a challenge to reconcile the difference between right and wrong. These kinds of stories absolutely mesmerize young minds, and Treasure Island is among the best of them, captivating the imagination of countless young men for generations.

So I was particularly pleased to recently find this old Illustrated Junior Library version. Although not a particularly fine copy, its vintage design and patina of wear were nonetheless very appealing, and it served to rekindle memories of my own personal relationship with the story. It's richly illustrated by Norman Mills Price, with both color and monochrome drawings that charm the mind's eye. I had forgotten about the Illustrated Junior Library editions until I found this copy, but it's precisely the kind of book that any collector with a fondness for this story would like to have. I'll certainly be looking to add other beloved classics from the series to my bookshelf.

I know Harry Potter will someday have the same nostalgic appeal for a newer generation, but I hope the timeless classics will continue to hold-up well and engage future generations of young readers.

Copy Notes:  Hardback, apparent first edition, color and black and white illustrations