December 11, 2011

Site Planning

Site Planning
by Kevin Lynch
MIT Press, 1962

Comments:  Early in my career I worked as a land planner for a few years and this book was one of my key influences. It's one of the definitive works on environmental design and is a standard textbook in many architectural programs. Lynch is a highly regarded architect, urban planner and scholar, who studied with Frank Lloyd Wright and has become a leading authority on urban design, city planning and site planning. For anyone serious about environmental design this is essential reading.

I had sold my original college textbook copy several years ago when I left the profession, but I recently came across this used copy of an older edition and was able to reacquire it. Although I've lost much of my passion for the topic, I still appreciate the brilliance -- both theoretical and practical -- in Lynch's mastery of the subject. I'm pleased to have this book in my collection again.

Copy Notes:  Hardback, fifth printing (1967), photographs and illustrations