December 6, 2011

Winslow Homer, Artist and Angler

Winslow Homer, Artist and Angler
by Patricia Junker and Sarah Burns
Amon Carter Museum and Fine Arts Museum, 2002

Comments:  I've always enjoyed Winslow Homer's watercolors, but my fondness became even greater when I discovered that he was also an accomplished fly fisherman. He often ventured into the wild for extended periods, immersing himself in the life of an outdoorsman and angler. Needless to say, this inspired much of his work. This book explores his travels as an angler and the artwork derived from those experiences. It also provides a overview of other sporting artists who preceded Homer and likely had an influence on him.

The book was originally published as a catalog to accompany a collaborative museum exhibition entitled Casting a Spell: Winslow Homer, Artist and Angler. I can't remember how I first became aware of it, but I do remember that I immediately began looking for a copy. Unfortunately it was no longer in print, so it remained on my search list for several years. Then a few weeks ago I found a NEW (shrunk-wrapped) copy at a local half-priced bookstore. After a quick moment to validate reality, I was extraordinarily pleased. Although this is only a softcover edition, it's filled with magnificent images and I'm thrilled to finally have it in my collection.

Copy Notes:  Softcover, richly illustrated with numerous color and monochrome images