October 5, 2011

The Visual Display of Quantitative Information

The Visual Display of Quantitative Information
by Edward R. Tufte
Graphics Press, 2001

Comments:  I came late to the game with Tufte. His series of books on the design of information graphics are highly-regarded in the graphic design community, but I was slow to embrace theory for what I considered a creative endeavor. However, I always recognized the potential of his work and resolved to read them "someday." Recently I came across a group of his books in very good condition and bought the entire set.

The Visual Display of Quantitative Information is the first in the series and where I started. It basically presents an overview of Tufte's philosophy on information design. I was not disappointed by the concepts, but being somewhat removed from information design in my current work left me less enthusiastic about continuing the series. Still, one recognizes the importance of his thesis.

This second edition has been expanded from the original. The book itself is a perfect example in clean design and expert typography. It also contains the now well-known reproduction of a chart that elegantly demonstrates the rise and demise of Napoleon's army during his campaign into Russia.

Copy Notes:  Hardback, Second Edition, 2009